Shrimp & Corn Chowder

This has a nice kick to it, but my kids did comment that it was spicy, so if you like some spice, go for the full tsp of pepper, if not, cut it down to 1/2 tsp.  The first time I made this, I made the whole recipe, and it was enough for two families of 5 with leftovers.  This time, I halved the recipe, and I still fed it to my family and have had leftovers for lunch for two days.  It's a very hearty soup...one of my kids loves shrimp so ate all of his shrimp but left the corn and the other loves corn so he opted to give the shrimp to his brother.  The baby loved it, and my husband and I enjoyed it just as much this time as the first time.  

Shrimp & Corn Chowder: (halved and modified from the Doggone Good! cookbook...original recipe found HERE.)

2 T butter                       
1 onion finely chopped
1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
1 1/4 quart chicken stock, low fat, low sodium
1 lb potatoes with peeling, cut into 1 inch pieces
16 oz frozen shoe peg corn  (original recipe calls for twice as much corn, but I think this is plenty)
4 ozsharp white cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 c. half and half
1 lb. medium shrimp, cut in half

Melt butter in stock pot.  Add onions and cook until translucent.  Add flour, pepper, turmeric, and salt, and continue to cook for about 3 minutes.  Add chicken stock and potatoes and cook for 15 minutes.  Add corn and cook for 10 minutes.  Add half & half and cheese and simmer until hot.  Add shrimp and simmer for 4 minutes until shrimp are pink.  

Happy Cooking!

Grilled Mini Meat Loaves

Let me be the first to point out that I do NOT like traditional meatloaf. Anything with oatmeal and a ketchup glaze will not be foun...