Orange Beef and Broccoli

My friend Margot shared this recipe with me, and, boy, am I glad she did! I ended up making the entire thing in the instant pot rather than dirtying separate dishes. I started by browning the beef as directed, then I removed it with a slotted spoon and made the sauce as directed. I added the beef back in and let it sauté for several minutes. I used a 1 lb ribeye, and it was enough for my family of 5. Next time, I may double the recipe because there was not a morsel left over. It was a hit from my 6 year old to my (now) 40 year old husband!!

Orange Beef: 
Original recipe adapted from NYT Cooking found here.

For Beef:
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1-1.5 lbs boneless ribeye
1 large egg white
1 T cornstarch (or potato starch)
1 tsp salt
6 scallions, sliced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
Steamed Broccoli


Method for Beef:
Set instant pot to saute (or use a medium stock pot on the stovetop and set to medium heat). Heat oil until hot and shimmering. Meanwhile, combine egg white, cornstarch, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut beef into 1 in pieces. Toss beef in egg mixture. Add beef to oil and cook for 3-5 minutes until cooked to your liking. Add scallions and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 minute more. Use a slotted spoon to move beef mixture to a platter.

For sauce:
1 T grated ginger (I use jarred)
1 T minced garlic  (I use jarred)
1 jalapeno diced (I use jarred)
Zest of one orange
Juice of one orange
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 T fish sauce

Method for sauce:
After removing beef mixture from pan, add ginger, garlic, jalapeno, and orange zest. Cook for several minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir occasionally, until the sauce has reduced by about half. Add beef mixture plus broccoli and/or snow peas if you desire. Cook for about 5 more minutes until all flavors are combined.

Serve with Jasmine rice and edamame.

Happy Cooking!

Grilled Mini Meat Loaves

Let me be the first to point out that I do NOT like traditional meatloaf. Anything with oatmeal and a ketchup glaze will not be foun...