Brown Rice Pilaf

I needed a hearty side dish to feed my hungry brood before/after baseball practice/games tonight. We had Marinated Pork Tenderloin and Roasted Asparagus, but I knew they needed a grain to fill their bellies. I wanted something other than plain rice, and I landed on this rice pilaf. It's super easy, but it does take a little time. It's one of those dishes that you can make ahead of time and reheat, and it is just as tasty. I added a couple of tablespoons of almonds for crunch as well. Yum, yum, yum!

Ingredients:
1 T olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup brown rice (not instant)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted (or more if you'd like!)

Method:
Add olive oil, onion, and garlic to saute pan and cook until onions are golden brown. Add the rice and cook for about 1 minute. Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer for about 45 minutes until all of the liquid is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and mix in almonds.

Happy Cooking

Grilled Mini Meat Loaves

Let me be the first to point out that I do NOT like traditional meatloaf. Anything with oatmeal and a ketchup glaze will not be foun...